Bissett et al report that topical application of niacinamide reduces yellowing, wrinkling, red blotchiness and hyperpigmented spots in aging facial skin.1 Previous clinical testing of topical niacinamide (vitamin B3) has revealed a broad array of improvements in the appearance of aging facial skin. The study reported here was performed to confirm some of those previous observations and to evaluate additional end points such as skin antiyellowing. Caucasian female subjects (n = 50, aged 40-60 years) participated in a 12-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled, splitface, left-right, randomized clinical study that assessed 2 topical products: moisturizer control product vs. the same moisturizer product containing 5% niacinamide. Niacinamide was well tolerated by the skin and provided signifi cant improvements in comparison with the control in end points evaluated previously (i.e., fi ne lines/wrinkles, hyperpigmentation spots, texture and red blotchiness). In addition, skin yellowing (sallowness) compared with the control was signifi cantly improved. The mechanism by which this array of benefi ts is achieved with niacinamide is discussed.
Cell Growth–Promoting Peptides and Other Topics
February 16, 2009
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Patents
- 1Patent Inventor vs. Assignee
- 2A Review of Novel Cleansing and Conditioning Systems
- 3Patent Pick: Lips Sealed with Improved Occlusion
- 4Comparatively Speaking: Patents, Exclusive Right and Public Development
- 5Comparatively Speaking: Disruptive Innovation vs. Sustaining Innovation
- 6Comparatively Speaking: Issued Patent vs. Patent Applications
- 7Literature Review: Color Perception, Pigmentation and Optics
- 8Patent Pick: Enlightened Luxury Cues in Skin Care
- 9Patent Pick: A Facial Device to Melt Your Heart—and Sebum
- 10Patent Pick: Fresh as a Winter Savory Armpit?
- Comparatively Speaking: Patents, Exclusive Right and Public Development
3/28/2019, Anthony J. O'Lenick, Jr., IFSCC Education Chair and Siltech, LLC
- Patent Pick: Orchid Extract Maintains ECM Integrity
11/15/2018, Rachel Grabenhofer
- Patent Pick: Chocolate-dipped Answer to Aging
2/13/2019, Rachel Grabenhofer
- Patent Pick: Pumpkin, Shea and More for Elegant Occlusion and Care
10/30/2018, Rachel Grabenhofer
- Patent Pick: Fresh as a Winter Savory Armpit?
1/30/2019, Rachel Grabenhofer