Controversy surrounds how certain cationic peptides enter the cell, as described by The Scientist. The so-called cell-penetrating peptides (CPPs) reportedly appeared to cross plasma membranes directly, which was seen as surprising because the molecule is not the kind of molecule one often sees passing through hydrophobic membranes. Kamran Melikov and his lab team, headed by Leonid Chernomordik (U.S. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development), along with a CNRS group at the University of Montpellier headed by Bernard Lebleu, reportedly showed that uptake was largely due to endocytosis, they suggested, which means any drug conjugated to such a peptide would still be segregated from the cytoplasm. Researchers including Melikov's group continue to investigate how a CPP might escape the endosome to serve as effective drug carrier.
Cationic Peptides and Cell Penetration
October 10, 2008
Fill out my online form.
microHA—Super Active, Low Molecular Weight Hyaluronic Acid (HA) with Outstanding Biological Efficacy — Bloomage Biotechnology USA Inc.
Most Popular in Biology
- 1Research Identifies 8 More Genomes Linked to Skin Cancer
- 2IFF/Lucas Meyer Reveals Skin's Olfaction Perception
- 3Comparatively Speaking: Pathogenic vs. Non-pathogenic Bacteria
- 4Literature Review: Damage, Growth and Conditioning in Hair
- 5Types of Skin Aging
- 6Comparatively Speaking: Genome vs. Epigenome
- 7Resisting Our Realm: Infrared, Blue Light and UVA-II Defense
- 8How Stress Depletes Melanocytes, Turns Hair White
- 9Baby Skin vs. Adult Skin Structure, Function and Composition
- 10Hypersensitive Skin: Classification and Potential Risk from Cosmetic Formulations
- [video] Hyaluronan Homeostasis for Anti-aging Effects
4/11/2019, Rachel Grabenhofer with Hiroyuki Yoshida, of Kao Corp.
- Lauder Reveals Metabolomic Insights on Acne, Pollution, Aging and More
6/28/2019, Rachel Grabenhofer
- How Stressing Out Causes Skin Aging; and a Way to Reverse It
8/26/2019, Rachel Grabenhofer
- Defeating Dry Skin: New Developments for Adult and Neonatal Moisturization
11/13/2019, Katerina Steventon, Ph.D., FaceWorkshops, LLC, East Yorkshire, England
- Youth in Full Bloom: Red Poppy Extract for Under-eye Circles and Sagging
9/4/2019, Marina Lefort, Lilia Heider, Valérie Bicard-Benhamou and Heike Hanau, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany; Thierry Baldecchi, Merck Chimie SAS, Fontenay-sous-Bois, France