Controversy surrounds how certain cationic peptides enter the cell, as described by The Scientist. The so-called cell-penetrating peptides (CPPs) reportedly appeared to cross plasma membranes directly, which was seen as surprising because the molecule is not the kind of molecule one often sees passing through hydrophobic membranes. Kamran Melikov and his lab team, headed by Leonid Chernomordik (U.S. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development), along with a CNRS group at the University of Montpellier headed by Bernard Lebleu, reportedly showed that uptake was largely due to endocytosis, they suggested, which means any drug conjugated to such a peptide would still be segregated from the cytoplasm. Researchers including Melikov's group continue to investigate how a CPP might escape the endosome to serve as effective drug carrier.
Cationic Peptides and Cell Penetration
October 10, 2008
Fill out my online form.
ProRenew Complex CLR™ has high efficacy for postbiotic scalp care — CLR-Chemisches Laboratorium Dr. Kurt Richter GmbH
Most Popular in Biology
- 1Kao Finds the True ‘Biological Age’ of Skin
- 2Pumpkin Seed Oil: A New Option for Female Pattern Hair Loss
- 3Skin Reset: TCM-inspired Reishi Mushroom to Reprogram Signs of Aging
- 4Study Update: Sandalore Ingredient Reverses Hair Loss
- 5How Broccoli Puts a Halt to Hair Loss
- 6Words from Wiechers: Too Often, Too Hot and Too Long. . .
- 7The Ins and Outs of Aging: Intrinsic/Extrinsic Factors and Nutricosmetic Fixes
- 8Baby Skin vs. Adult Skin Structure, Function and Composition
- 9Defying Damage: Understanding Breakage in Afro-textured Hair
- 10Skin Rashes and Hair Loss: Biological Connections to COVID-19
- How the Circadian Cycle Regulates Skin Regeneration: A Review
12/4/2020, Rachel Grabenhofer
- Shiseido Uncovers Root Cause of Wrinkles and 'Pre-wrinkles'
2/15/2021, Rachel Grabenhofer
- Sytheon Publishes on Synastol TC’s Dermal Expression Responses
10/30/2020, Michele Behrens
- Scalp Care 101: Biology, Conditions and Formulating Answers
2/1/2021, Pascal Yvon, Alban Muller International, Coral Gables, FL USA
- Shiseido Uncovers IL-8 Skin Damage, Points to Lymphatic Skin Care Approach
11/25/2020, Rachel Grabenhofer