Premium Organic has announced that its inflammaging active Alpin Heilmoor Extract (AHE) (INCI: Peat Extract) has been awarded second in the European BSB Innovation Award 2021 in the category "Natural products/Innovative raw materials: Microbiome, disturbed skin and related ingredients.”
The natural active maintains and balances the skin microbiome and improves the skin barrier. Furthermore, it prevents inflammation, glycation and oxidative stress and promotes the skin’s own healing and repair capacity.
COSMOS- and Natrue-certified, the ingredient can be used for multifaceted, vegan and natural cosmetic and personal care products, especially but not exclusively for darker colored formulations.
Premium Organic has additionally presented its sustainable quarrying and production concept, Gentle Renaturation.
Some advantages the company states for its sustainable quarrying concept are:
- Preserving the moor’s CO2 reservoir by keeping the topsoil intact.
- Extraction only takes place once a year for two weeks, which gives the moor time to regenerate.
- The quarrying process is gentle and minimal invasive, using only temporary construction roads and protective fleeces and always working in a hygienic and sterile manner to avoid contaminating the Heilmoor.
- The company already dewater the moor on-site and return this moor water directly. The water management concept is completed by replenishing with natural spring water to keep the Heilmoor moist and thus healthy.
- Resource-saving backfilling continues even after the production of AHE: all remaining material is also returned to the original Moor to conserve resources.
- By creating Moor-biotopes at the quarrying sites, biodiversity is increased, both flora and fauna are reinforced, and the Moorland is revitalized.
- This long-term quarrying plan, developed and constantly monitored by experts, enables a complete regeneration of the Heilmoor.
Additionally, the company works to be resource- and CO2-friendly. According to the company, it cooperates with initiatives to store more CO2 in natural sites by rewetting formerly drained Moorlands.
For every 40 kg of AHE sold, the company invests in one to of CO2 certificates in order for customers to benefit from the lowered carbon footprint.