The ALT-SPF consortium, initiated by DSM Nutritional Products AG and Sun Protection Facilitator GmbH, aims to evaluate, characterize and compare alternative test methods to the current gold standard, ISO 24444:2019, and to publish the results in peer-reviewed journals.
This call for interest invites any of the following interested parties to join the consortium’s efforts:
- Organizations active in the manufacturing of sunscreens or UV filters; and
- Organizations active in the development of alternative methods to ISO 24444:2019 that can fulfill the following three criteria:
- Provide scientific evidence that the alternative method shows an agreement with the SPF in vivo according to ISO 24444;
- Be willing to carry the efforts to provide test data and costs for individual statistical analysis and reporting, if required; and
- Provide an adequate number of laboratories to test using the alternative method, the agreed upon number of sunscreen samples, and following the agreed statistical approach.
To apply, interested participants can either fill out the form on the ALT-SPF website or complete and sign a letter of commitment. The call for interest deadline is August 3, 2020.
To find out more, visit the ALT SPF website.