Back in September (2021), this column 1 described European regulatory updates regarding chemicals that seem to be based on persistence rather than the analysis of harmful effects and additional analysis on environmental claims, chemical strategies and more, including endocrine disruptors and PFAS. The present column adds to those discussions.
The European Green Deal
A June 2021 C&T article2 introduced the European Green Deal (EGD). In its communication on the EGD in 2019,3 the European Commission set out its commitment to tackling climate and environmental-related challenges, and its plan to make the EU's economy sustainable. There are nine key policy areas: 1) biodiversity; 2) farm to fork; 3) sustainable agriculture; 4) clean energy; 5) sustainable industry; 6) building and renovating; 7) sustainable mobility; 8) eliminating pollution; and 9) climate action. Not only will the EGD influence nearly all decisions made by the EU Commission, Parliament and Council in years to come, it also will impact all industries.
An example of this is the EU legislative proposal on "consumer empowerment for the green transition," which covers environmental claims and their substantiation in addition to the digitalization of information and safety of products sold online, and mandatory information related to product’s sustainability characteristics (environmental and social) and impact.
The European Personal Care Association, Cosmetics Europe, has dedicated much time and expertise in considering the areas of the EGD that will most affect the cosmetic and personal care industry, and what actions the industry needs to take on a collective sustainability journey. The areas of focus are:
• Climate, biodiversity and water;
• Circularity of ingredients and packaging; and
Cosmetics Europe is working on a plan of action, to be shared shortly.
- Meredith, E. (2021, Sep). European regulatory update: Greenwashing, endocrine disruptors and PFAS. Cosmet Toilet 136(8) 18-22. Available at: https://cosmeticsandtoiletries.texterity.com/cosmeticsandtoiletries/september_2021/MobilePagedReplica.action?pm=2&folio=18#pg27
- Meredith, E. (2021, Jun). European regulatory update: Siloxanes, microplastics and the green deal. Cosmet Toilet 136(6) DM3-DM7. Available at: https://cosmeticsandtoiletries.texterity.com/cosmeticsandtoiletries/june_2021/MobilePagedReplica.action?pm=2&folio=DM3#pg27
- European Commission. A European green deal: Striving to be the first climate-neutral continent. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/info/strategy/priorities-2019-2024/european-green-deal_en#:~:text=The%20European%20Green%20Deal%20is%20our%20plan%20to,making%20the%20transition%20just%20and%20inclusive%20for%20all.