Cosmetics durability has always been a burning issue. Because cosmetics are multifunctional products, their durability should be somehow bound to the fading of their complex of aesthetic, skin compatibility and functionality. This approach would be perfect, if simple and unambiguous testing methods for each set of functions were generally agreed between industries and authorities. Lacking that agreement thus far, we find that the adopted defi nition of stability has been vague and precise at the same time, since the date of the first European law on cosmetics.1 “Durability” meant the period during which the product was able to perform its main functions without causing either physiological or microbial harm to the consumer.2 In other words, it referred to durability in terms of both safety and ability to perform. Indeed, it was a very clear and unquestionable definition. Therefore, irrespective of the changing product appearance or a fading scent, a shampoo could be considered stable if it kept its hair detergent activity over time and did not either induce unexpected irritating effects or became microbiologically spoiled or dangerous.
The “Period After Opening” in the Jungle of EU Product Labeling
February 16, 2009
Fill out my online form.
ProRenew Complex CLR™ has high efficacy for postbiotic scalp care — CLR-Chemisches Laboratorium Dr. Kurt Richter GmbH
Most Popular in Claims/Labeling
- 1Suit Alleges J&J's OGX Shampoo, Conditioners Cause Hair Loss
- 2Updated Guide Available on Classifying and Labeling Titanium Dioxide
- 3Bayer, Beiersdorf to Settle Over 'Misleading Mineral-based' Coppertone Claim
- 4California Passes 'Do Not Flush' Wipes Law
- 5Unilever’s TRESemmé Shampoo Alleged to Cause Irritation, Hair Loss
- 6China Cracks Down on Misleading Cosmetic Claims—Here's How to Comply
- 7Microbiome Claims: Should Pre-, Pro- and Postbiotic Skin Care Be Regulated?
- 8FDA Issues Warning Letter for Eyebrow/Eyelash Growth Product Claims
- 9Burt's Bees Faces Class Action Suit Over 'Natural' Pet Shampoo Claims
- 10Clinique Faces Class Action Suit Over False 'Probiotic' Product Claim
- Neutrogena Faces Suit Over Benzene in Sunscreens
6/30/2021, Hannah Fink
- Concerns Over Charcoal Safety Raised in Crest Toothpaste Lawsuit
3/19/2021, Rachel Grabenhofer
- China Cracks Down on Misleading Cosmetic Claims—Here's How to Comply
9/23/2021, Michele Behrens
- Microbiome Claims: Should Pre-, Pro- and Postbiotic Skin Care Be Regulated?
4/30/2021, Olivia Santoni, Bloom Regulatory, Ltd., London
- Suit Alleges J&J's OGX Shampoo, Conditioners Cause Hair Loss
7/6/2021, Michele Behrens