ApHogee’s Two-step Protein Treatment was created to strengthen, protect and rebuild damaged hair through a formulation that targets keratin in the hair cortex and cuticle.
According to the company, the initial Two-Step Protein Treatment contains magnesium and modified proteins that fuse into hair with the application of heat. The result is drastically reduced hair breakage. Following this product, step two, the Balancing Moisturizer, adds oils and moisturizers to hair to restore elasticity and shine.
As ApHogee explains, the hair’s cortex, which determines its strength, elasticity and texture, is enclosed by keratin protein plates to form the cuticle. When the cuticle layer is damaged, the cortex is vulnerable, making hair weak and unruly instead of smooth and strong.
Previously: Read the Label: Olaplex No. 3 Hair Perfector
Traditional one-step products such as oil are said to provide a temporary fix by helping to reduce breakage due to pulling and styling. The Two-Step Protein Treatment is instead designed to repair the cuticle and restore strength and manageability first; before the Balancing Moisturizer adds softness and shine.
This initial repair product is said to last for up to six weeks. Its strong bonding is attributed to being applied first to the hair and alone; i.e. before the emollients and humectants are added.
The instructions provided by ApHogee for this two-step treatment are as follows:
- Wash hair. Once hair is properly cleansed, apply step one (the Two-step Protein Treatment) to hair and distribute evenly at the bowl.
- Dry hair using medium heat and maximum airflow until product hardens. This is when the protein adheres to hair for maximum bonding.
- Return to the bowl and re-moisten hair, gently rinsing thoroughly to remove excess protein.
- Apply step two, the Balancing Moisturizer, liberally throughout hair. Leave on for five minutes before rinsing. This is when the moisturizers and oils help restore softness and shine to the hair.
- Dry and proceed with the color application before styling.
Ingredients (Two-step Protein Treatment): Water (Aqua), Hydrolyzed Collagen, Citric Acid, Magnesium Sulfate, Imidazolidinone, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Phytantriol, Magnesium Carbonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Dimethylol Urea, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, Glycerin, Trideceth-12, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance (Parfum), Linalool.