A new sustainability initiative is at the center of BASF's in-cosmetics Global 2019 lineup. The supplier harnessed the anti-aging and moisturization properties of Vietnamese rambutan to create three bioactives, set to debut at the event.
The rambutan program involves sustainable sourcing and upcycling of production by-products, while ensuring that the local workers receive a fair income and safer working conditions.
- Nephydrat—This ingredient moisturizes and energizes dry, weakened skin through rambutan peel, for use in body, hand and face care applications. (INCI: Glycerin (and) Water (and) Nephelium Lappaceum Peel Extract)
- Nephoria—Works to rejuvenate mature skin via biological pathways similar to retinol. It reportedly stimulates the formation of collagen and elastic fibers in order to help skin look visibly younger. (INCI: Maltodextrin (and) Nephelium Lappaceum Leaf Extract)
- Rambuvital—Revitalizes hair follicles and moisturizes the scalp, all the while protecting both from the negative effects of pollution, for use in shampoo and conditioning applications. (INCI: Maltodextrin (and) Nephelium Lappaceum (Seed) Extract)
Other recent additions to BASF's portfolio will be shown at the event, including:
- Bix'Activ—Created to combat oily skin, this active reduces sebum production and moderates the skin microbiome for mattified skin, refined pores and a reduced amount of skin blemishes. (INCI: Maltodextrin (and) Bixa Orellana Seed Extract)
- Ciste'M—Protects skin-cell DNA from UVB exposure while preventing the damaging effects of blue light. It can also maintain skin integrity and function, for an overall anti-aging effect.(INCI: Maltodextrin (and) Cistus Monspeliensis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract)
- Euperlan OP White—A biodegradable, wax-based opacifier dispersion for use in surfactant formulations. The ingredient is cold-processable and can also be used as an alternative to synthetic polymer opacifiers. (INCI: Glycol Distearate (and) Sodium Laureth Sulfate (and) Cocamidopropyl Betaine (and) Glyceryl Oleate)
- Cegesoft Peel—A wax-based microplastic alternative, comprising spherical wax beads for mild exfoliation. (INCI: Glycol Distearate)
BASF will also present a new generation of its Sunscreen Simulator. This digital lab is internet-based, allowing formulators to analyze the performance of sunscreens under development before beginning in vitro and in vivo testing. The new version includes side-by-side comparisons of multiple formulations, immediate dynamic calculations and other features.
BASF can be visited at booth K70 at in-cosmetics Global, to be held April 2-4, 2019, in Paris.