In the 2021 Cosmetic Victories, 81 projects from 13 countries will participate in the sixth edition of the competition. The 2021 prizes will be awarded by a panel of judges who will select two winners among the six finalists.
The Cosmetic Victories is an international competition for research and innovation with the triple objective of detecting and developing young talents; supporting their projects; and encouraging research and science in the field of fragrance and cosmetics. Two prizes will be awarded: The academic prize, entailing projects by young graduates, doctoral and postdoctoral scholars, researchers and scientists; and the industry prize, which includes projects by industrialists, entrepreneurs, start-ups and innovative SMEs.
Of the 81 projects in this year's edition, 22 academic and 59 industrial entries came from 13 countries: Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, Spain, USA, France (and Nouvelle Calédonie), Ghana, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Taiwan, Thailand and Ukraine.
The six finalists (three in each prize category) were selected by a committee of industry professionals and international scientific experts. Proposals were to include research work or an innovation that could be applied to any area relevant to fragrance and cosmetics: ingredients, formulation, testing, processes, packaging, chemistry, biotechnology, digital technology, distribution, or new products and services. The innovations may have originated in the fragrance and cosmetics sector, or could be a technological transfer from another industry. Following are the finalists in each category.
Finalists: Academic Prize
- New bio-sourced and renewable UV-A filters for cosmetic formulation; URD - ABI, AgroParisTech—France
- Bio-inspired microgels for cosmetics … and what else? Institut des Sciences Analytiques et de Physico-Chimie pour l'Environnement et les Matériaux, UMR CNRS/UPPA 5254, Université de Pau et Pays de l'Adour UPPA—France
- TOUCHY Finger, an augmented and connected human finger to assess skin and hair feel; Laboratoire de Tribologie et Dynamique des Systèmes (LTDS), Ecole Centrale de Lyon, UMR CNRS 5513—France
Finalists: Industry Prize
- Pack 3 in 1: Dissolve to Preserve; PolyBridge—France
- Biodegradable texturizers and benefits for next-generation formulas; ROELMI HPC—Italy
- Biorefinery-based technology in Smart Delivery Systems; InventionBio SA—Poland
Each winner will receive a prize of €10,000, as well as the assistance of Cosmetic Valley. The Award Ceremony will take place on March 30, 2021, on Cosmetic Valley TV. Follow us as we report the winners.