Read the full article in the Nov/Dec edition of C&T magazine.
From late June to early August 2022, the cosmetic industry in the Asia-Pacific region has undergone tremendous regulatory changes revolving around cosmetic post-market surveillance, testing methods, ingredient updates, new concepts/directions, and more. Following are brief updates.
China: Cosmetic Sampling Testing
On Sept. 28, 2020, the China National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) released a draft of the Standards for the Management of Cosmetic Sampling Testing for the post-market supervision and inspection of cosmetics.1 On June 24, 2022, China NMPA opened a three-week public consultation on the second draft, which was renamed the “Measures for the Management of Cosmetic Sampling Testing.”2
Compared with the first draft, the main amendments to the measures include:3
- Increasing the number of articles from 52 to 63 and adding a new chapter titled, “Information Disclosure;”
- Adding "special cosmetics” and “cosmetics using new ingredients” to the key categories of sample testing;
- Adding five types of sampling anomalies that will be subject to investigation;
- Refining the requirements for testing and result submission, re-testing and objections, verification and disposal, etc.; and
- Tightening the penalties for non-compliant products and relevant responsible persons.
- National Medical Products Administration (NMPA). (2020, Sept 28). NMPA solicits public opinions on the draft regulations on cosmetic GMP, adverse reaction monitoring and sampling testing. Available at: https://www.nmpa.gov.cn/hzhp/hzhpfgwj/hzhpgzwj/20200928103936177.html?type=pc&m=&from=groupmessage&isappinstalled=0
- ChemLinked (2022, Jun 24). Measures for the management of cosmetic sampling testing (draft for comments). Available at: https://cosmetic.chemlinked.com/database/view/1395
- NMPA (2022, Jan 7). NMPA solicits public opinions on the measures for the management of cosmetic sampling testing (draft for comment). Available at: https://www.nmpa.gov.cn/xxgk/zhqyj/zhqyjhzhp/20220624161517183.html?type=pc&m=