Lush Cosmetics has announced that effective November 26, 2021, the brand will deactivate its Instagram, Facebook, Tik Tok and Snapchat accounts until the "platforms take action to provide a safer environment for users."
This new policy is rolling out across all 48 countries where Lush operates.
Lush can still be found on Twitter and YouTube.
The brand stated that it hopes that platforms will introduce strong best practice guidelines and that international regulation will be passed into law.
In 2019, Lush attempted to deactivate its social accounts with its U.K. channels. However since then, Lush said, "the brand's resolve has been strengthened by all the latest information from courageous whistleblowers, which clearly lays out the known harms that young people are exposed to because of the current algorithms and loose regulation of this new area of our lives."
Jack Constantine, chief digital officer and product inventor at Lush, said: "As an inventor of bath bombs, I pour all my efforts into creating products that help people switch off, relax and pay attention to their well-being. Social media platforms have become the antithesis of this aim, with algorithms designed to keep people scrolling and stop them from switching off and relaxing."
Mark Constantine, OBE, co-founder, CEO and product inventor at Lush, said: "I've spent all my life avoiding putting harmful ingredients in my products. There is now overwhelming evidence we are being put at risk when using social media. I'm not willing to expose my customers to this harm, so it's time to take it out of the mix."