Gelita AG has acquired 65% of the shares in SelJel, a Turkish gelatin producer. The remaining 35% of the shares remain with the founding family, Tezman, who will continue to manage the company.
Related: Gelita AG Appoints Teetz, Abend to Management Board
This joint venture will further Gelita's growth strategy to meet the demand for gelatin and, in particular, halal bovine gelatin.
With approximately 6,500 metric tons of edible, pharmaceutical and technical gelatin, SelJel is the top Turkish producer and supplies the national and international market.
Franz Josef Konert Ph.D., CEO of Gelita, said, "We are delighted that we have come to an agreement. SelJel complements Gelita perfectly. All their products have halal status, which helps us to meet the growing demand for these products. This will further boost Gelita's strong global network, now with 23 locations worldwide, and SelJel will profit from Gelita's global presence."