Build a solid foundation in science, formulation and product development—find out more!
Most Popular in:
REACH Update: Two Weeks Until Pre-registration
Posted: May 20, 2008
page 2 of 4
Pre-registration has to be carried out electronically on the REACH-IT portal of the ECHA Web site. The portal will be launched by June 1, 2008. The three options for submission are online pre-registration, by manually compiling the data required on the REACH-IT portal; IUCLID 5 pre-registration, by entering substance data in IUCLID 5; and XML pre-registration, by entering substance data in an IT system that creates an extensible mark-up language (XML) file in the required format. For pre-registrants, submitting information on only a few substances that are not currently using IUCLID 5, an on-line pre-registration via REACH-IT may be the preferred option. For companies pre-registering many substances, the plug-in or the XML options may be most practical as they allow the submission of pre-registration information of several substances in one single file.
The first step is to create an account for the company, either directly in REACH-IT or by uploading it from IUCLID 5. To do so, the company needs to supply a company ID, invoicing information for use during registration and the contact persons within the company.
The first user of a company who signs up becomes the account manager of the company in REACH-IT, but additional user accounts can be created. The substance data file for pre-registration can be prepared either by manually compiling the data required or by entering the substance data in the IUCLID 5 pre-registration plug-in, or in the XML pre-registration file. The links for the software downloads are given below. It is important, however, that before submission of a pre-registration, the reviewed annexes and other information newly published by the ECHA be carefully read.
• On June 1, 2008, the ECHA will start managing all activities for registration, evaluation, authorization and restriction of chemical substances in Europe.
• The pre-registration phase is June 1—Dec. 1, 2008.
• Pre-registration requires limited information and no fee applies.
• A fee will apply for regular registration.
• Further costs for REACH will derive from testing of substances, administration of SIEFs and consortia and experts' services.
• Pre-registration can be deactivated.
• Several important information documents for pre-registration are still not available, including Annexes IV and V.
• Pre-registration has to be carried out electronically on the REACH-IT portal.
• The portal will be launched by June 1, 2008.
• The three options for pre-registration are REACH-IT Online, IUCLID 5 and XML.
• The first step is to create an account for a company.
• The IUCLID 5 pre-registration plug-in and the XML pre-registration software are already available.
• Before submission of a pre-registration, the reviewed annexes and other information newly published by the ECHA should be carefully read.
Next months’ topic: Pre-SIEFS, SIEFs and Actual Status for Consortia Formation