Build a solid foundation in science, formulation and product development—find out more!
Most Popular in:
Enhancing Sunscreen Efficacy for Realistic Application
By: Elsa Jungman, University of Paris XI, and Howard I. Maibach, MD, University of California
Posted: June 30, 2010, from the July 2010 issue of Cosmetics & Toiletries.
page 6 of 6
Reproduction of the article without expressed consent is strictly prohibited.
Send e-mail to email@example.com.
1. R Weston, Do sunscreens reduce the incidence of skin cancers? In Evidence-based Dermatology (Williams), Blackwell Publishing: Hoboken, NJ USA 285–300 (2003)
2. A Faurschou and HC Wulf, The relation between sun protection factor and amount of sunscreen applied in vivo, Br J Dermatol 156(4) 716–9 (2007)
3. P Autier, M Boniol, G Severi and JF Doré, Quantity of sunscreen used by European students, Br J Dermatol 144(2) 288–91 (2001)
4. RM Azurdia, JA Pagliaro, BL Diffey and LE Rhodes, Sunscreen application by photosensitive patients is inadequate for protection, Br J Dermatol 140(2) 255–8 (1999)
5. H Loesch and DL Kaplan, Pitfalls in sunscreen application, Arch Dermatol 130(5) 665–6 (1994)
6. Y Lynfield and S Schechter, Choosing and using a vehicle, J Am Acad Dermatol 10(1) 56–9 (1984)
7. BL Diffey and J Grice, The influence of sunscreen type on photoprotection, Br J Dermatol 137(1) 103–5 (1997)
8. UI Ivens, B Steinkjer, J Serup and V Tetens, Ointment is evenly spread on the skin, in contrast to creams and solution, Br J Dermatol 145(2) 264–7 (2001)
9. J Barr, Spray-on sunscreens need a good rub, J Am Acad Dermatol 52(1) 180–1 (2004)
10. Guideline for evaluating sun product water resistance, The European Cosmetic Toiletry and Perfumery Association (Colipa) (Dec 2005)
11. US Food and Drug Administration, (1999) Federal Register vol 64 (98), available at www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/DevelopmentResources/Over-the CounterOTCDrugs/StatusofOTCRulemakings/ucm090244.pdf (accessed May 13, 2010)
12. CM Ambros-Rudolph, R Hofmann-Wellenhof, E Richtig, M Müller-Fürstner, P Soyer, H Kerl, Malignant melanoma in marathon runners, Arch Dermatol 142(11) 1471–4 (2006)
13. M Moehrle, Ultraviolet exposure in the ironman triathlon, Med Sci Sports Exerc 33(8) 1385–6 (2001)
14. M Bodekaer, A Faurschou, PA Philipsen and HC Wulf, Sun protection factor persistence during a day with physical activity and bathing, Photodermatol, Photoimmunol, Photomed 24(6) 296–300 (2008)
15. BL Diffey, When should sunscreen be reapplied?, J Am Acad Dermatol 45(6) 882–5 (2001)
16. D Kelterer, JW Fluhr and P Elsner, Application of protective creams: Use of a fluorescence-based training system decreases unprotected areas on the hands, Contact Derm 49(3) 158–172 (2003)
17. ZD Draelos, Compliance and sunscreens, Dermatol Clin 24(1) 101 (2006)
18. US Food and Drug Administration, (2007) Federal Register, available at http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2007/pdf/07-4131.pdf (accessed May 13, 2010)