Build a solid foundation in science, formulation and product development—find out more!
Most Popular in:
SIEF Activities for an Impending Deadline
By: Annelie Struessmann, PhD, CONUSBAT
Posted: March 23, 2009
page 2 of 2
Many self-appointments of companies as SIEF facilitators have led to an enormous e-mail traffic imposed on preregistrants. SIEF participants are not legally bound to take any action towards these SIEF facilitators unless such queries relate to the availability of specific studies "in order to meet the information requirements for the purpose of registration" (Article 30(1)).
• The first registration deadline for preregistered substance is Dec. 1, 2010 .
• A short time period for fulfilling comprehensive registration requirements forces the immediate start of Substance Information Exchange Forums (SIEFs).
• Two further registration deadlines are in June 1, 2013, and in June 1, 2018.
• With the end of the preregistration processes in 2018, even phase-in substances newly entering the EU market must be registered before marketing these for the first time.
• The cosmetics industry is affected by the first registration deadline.
• EO, other important monomers and the most voluminous ingredients in personal care have to be registered at latest by Dec.1, 2010.
• Preregistrations can be de-activated in REACH-IT to indicate that no interest in active participation in the pre-SIEF exists.
• The future registration is not affected by the deactivation from the pre-SIEF forum.
• Participants in SIEFs are not legally bound to take any action toward requests resulting from self-appointments of companies as SIEF Facilitators.
• Only requests in "order to meet the information requirements for the purpose of registration" must be replied to, by law.
Readers are reminded that the text of the REACH Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 is the only authentic legal reference. The information in this document does not constitute legal advice.