How to Submit an Article
- Pitch Your Idea. Got an article idea? We want to hear it. Send your concept to our managing editor, Rachel Grabenhofer, at firstname.lastname@example.org OR
- Submit an Abstract. If you already have something in the works, send us your abstract (at least 100 words) and proposed title. Note that abstracts are needed at least five months prior to the month in which you're hoping* to publish. Also, proposed titles should be descriptive yet short and catchy. Our editors will work with you to create something that's eye-catching and attention-grabbing to the readers.
- Send in Your Manuscript. While we recommend submitting your idea or abstract first, we're always thrilled to receive full manuscripts. These are required at least four months prior to the month in which you're hoping* to publish. Our feature articles are peer-reviewed, which takes time. Upon acceptance, articles are scheduled* for publication.
*Publication dates for editorial are always tentative. While we strive to meet the requests of our authors, the final publication date is at the editor's discretion.
2016-2017 Feature Article Submission Deadlines
Oct. 14, 2016
Nov. 1, 2016
|Nov. 1, 2016||Dec. 1, 2016||Jan. 1, 2017|
|Feb. 1, 2017||March 1, 2017||May 1, 2017||June 1, 2017||July 1, 2017|
- Original. Submissions must be original work, presenting new information relevant to the development of cosmetics and personal care products. In order to publish your work, you will be required to sign a copyright agreement, which assigns all publishing rights to Allured Business Media, publisher of Cosmetics & Toiletries.
- Peer-reviewed. All manuscripts submitted will be peer-reviewed by one or more Cosmetics & Toiletries scientific advisors for soundness of science and appropriateness for our audience. Upon reviewer acceptance, articles will be scheduled for publication.
- Support Claims. Any claims made in the article must be substantiated with references and/or data; Note for figures: please include error bars on bar graphs and the p-value to inficate significance level.
- Nonpromotional. Promotional and marketing language is not permitted. A product trademark may be referenced initially in the footnotes but the chemical or INCI name should be used in the main text of the article.
- Novel and Relevant. Articles of interest include novel and cutting-edge formulating, research, testing and regulatory information applicable to personal care product development. This information may come from within the cosmetics and personal care industry or from peripheral fields. In the latter case, the article should propose how cosmetic scientists may practically apply the information presented.
- Review Articles. Review articles also are acceptable, so long as they provide a comprehensive view of the subject matter and are presented in the context of a current cosmetics and personal care market need.
- International Audience. Cosmetics & Toiletries speaks to a technical international audience. Please use scientific language that is familiar to the worldwide personal care industry.
- Complete Contact Information. Include name(s), title(s), company or organization affiliation(s) and city/country location(s) for all authors. For the primary corresponding author, include current mailing address, phone number and e-mail address.
- Digital Format. Submit articles in a digital format to the C&T managing editor, Rachel Grabenhofer, at email@example.com. Word files for PC are preferred.
- Manuscript Length: Approx. 2,000 Words. Exceptions will be made but could require splitting the article into parts.
- Manuscript Components:
- Proposed article title
- Author byline—including professional affiliations, i.e., Ph.D. or M.D., and the business affiliations and location of each author
- Key words—five to 10 key words or phrases discussed in the article
- Abstract—30-50 words describing the purpose of the article
- Main text—including:
- Introduction. Briefly explain the premise of the study or why the content of the article is a topic of interest;
- Experimental Design. If appropriate, provide a description of the experimental design, including a discussion of: instruments used and their manufacturers; test ingredients with INCI names along with their suppliers and amounts used; test formulas and amounts used; experimental conditions and controls/benchmarks; sample size(s), if appropriate; p-values; etc. Clinical data is also very appealing to readers.
- Results. Provide the results from the tests performed or conclusions from the literature reviewed; if tests were performed, include figures (with error bars), graphs, etc., illustrating findings and compared with controls/benchmarks.
- Discussion. Discuss the results and conclusions, and why they are significant and relevant; i.e., what they mean to cosmetic scientists.
- Conclusion or Summary. Review the work described in the article and implications for how it impacts the cosmetic scientist or overall industry.
- References. Support the information presented and claims made.
*Please do not format the references as endnotes, list them as text at the end of the paper. Following are example references for: 1) journal articles, 2) books, 3) chapters in books, 4) patents and 5) websites:
1. AP Tyler, TR Palmer Jr and JG Smith, Surfactants for shampoos: A review, J Soc Cosmet Chem 99(4) 43-54 (1987)
2. R Schueller and P Romanowski, Beginning Cosmetic Chemistry, Allured Business Media, Carol Stream, IL USA (1999)
3. D Orth and Y Appa, Glycerin: A natural ingredient for moisturizing skin, in Dry Skin and Moisturizers—Chemistry and Function, M Lodén and HI Maibach, eds, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL USA (2000) pp 213-224
4. US Pat 4,111,323, Copolymers for shampoo formulations, AP Tyler and JP Smith, assigned to The Cosmetic House (Dec 10, 1987)
5. web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2010/collagen-0514.html (Accessed May 20, 2010)
- JPG or EPS. Figures should be submitted as JPG or EPS files and saved at a resolution of 300 dpi or higher.Figures should not include trade names; please use chemical or INCI names. In addition, we welcome illustrative images that relate to a product's application.
- Large Files can be sent via Dropbox, YouSendIt or other free services. Please indicate with your article submission if you will be sending files through these services.
- PLEASE DO NOT RELY ON embedded figures in Microsoft Word or those copied from the Internet. They will not reproduce clearly in print. You may include low-resolution images in the text for placement purposes only; separate, high-resolution JPG or EPS files also are required.
- High-quality Photographs may be submitted as an alternative.
- Indicate Figure Placement. Include either instructions such as "INSERT FIGURE # HERE" in your article text or embed low-resolution images to illustrate placement.
- Figure/Table/Formula, etc., Captions. Provide captions for your additional article elements.
- Microsoft Word or Excel. Tables may be dropped into the article text where they belong in the layout or at the end of the article. If the latter, please include the instruction "INSERT TABLE # HERE" within the text. Tables may also be provided in a Microsoft Excel format, again with the instructions as to where they should appear in the layout.
- Formulas must be titled and numbered.
- Text, Table or Microsoft Excel. Formulas may be formatted in Microsoft Word as text, tabbed across the various columns, or as a table within the text. They may also be provided as separate Microsoft Excel files.
- INCI Names are Required; trade names may be included so long as they also include the name of the supplier.
- List Each Ingredient on a Separate Line with its relevant quantity or percentage. Please be sure your formulas add up to 100%, if applicable.
- Indicate Placement in the Article. If formulas are not embedded in the text, rather provided as Microsoft Excel files or Tables at the end of the article, please provide the instruction "INSERT FORMULA # HERE" in the text to indicate their placement.
For submissions or inquiries, please contact:
Rachel Grabenhofer, Managing Editor
Cosmetics & Toiletries
336 Gundersen Drive, Suite A
Carol Stream, IL 60188 USA