In an interesting article published in this journal recently, Armstrong reviewed work done on the uptake of preservatives by plastic packaging materials, a subject of importance to both the pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries. The purpose of this paper is to present in tabular form the percentage losses of aqueous preservatives stored in polypropylene, for which material Armstrong at the time could find no report in the literature, and also to reproduce in tabular form percentage losses in PVC and polyethylene. All three studies were originally conducted over a 12-week storage period, but the preservatives stored in polypropylene were left for a total period of 90 weeks, and these latter findings are included.
Storage Studies of Preservative Solutions in Commonly Used Plastic Containers
July 13, 2010
Fill out my online form.
Organic vs. Mineral: Where Sunscreens are Headed and Why [free formulation] — Sensient Cosmetic Technologies
TCMS Transparent Beauty Offers IP for Automated Deposition of Cosmetics — TCMS Transparent Beauty, LLC
Most Popular in Methods & Processes
- 1Does Beauty Desperately Need a New Hero Ingredient?
- 2Extracting Plants Using Supercritical Glycerin
- 3Back to Basics: Fragrance in Cosmetics—'Simple' and Psychological
- 4Comparatively Speaking: Epilation vs. Depilation
- 5Research Reveals Additive-free Synthesis of Low Hydrolysis Amphiphiles
- 6CBD in Cosmetics: A Practical Primer
- 7Comparatively Speaking: Lowering Surface Tension in Water vs. Oil
- 8Cold Processing of Emulsions
- 9Formulating Water-in-Oil Emulsions: A Scary Endeavor
- 10Inclusive Beauty: Making Cosmetics More Accessible for the Blind and for Visually Impaired Consumers
- Ames Laboratory Designs Nano-catalysts to Upcycle Polyolefin Plastics
12/15/2020, Michele Behrens
- [updated] Cosmetic Victories 2021 Finalist Profile: 'Touchy Finger'
3/25/2021, Roberto Vargiolu, Ph.D., and Hassan Zahouani, Tribology and System Dynamics Laboratory (LTDS)
- Safely Transferring Flammable and Combustible Cosmetic Liquids During Production
12/21/2020, Nancy Westcott, GoatThroat Pumps, Milford, CT
- Quality Culture Part III: Bulk Production
6/1/2021, Yasuhiko Toshima, Ph.D. and Hiroyuki Araki, Kao Corp.; Masahiko Otani, Lion Corp.; Ruka Suzuki, KOSÉ Corp.; Jun Usukura, Mandom Corp.; Kohtaro Fujioka, Ph.D., Manda Fermentation Co., Ltd.; Masaki Ookawa, Ookawa Microbiology Research Labo
- Research Unpacks Cosmetic Packaging Design Process
8/2/2021, Rachel Grabenhofer