In an interesting article published in this journal recently, Armstrong reviewed work done on the uptake of preservatives by plastic packaging materials, a subject of importance to both the pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries. The purpose of this paper is to present in tabular form the percentage losses of aqueous preservatives stored in polypropylene, for which material Armstrong at the time could find no report in the literature, and also to reproduce in tabular form percentage losses in PVC and polyethylene. All three studies were originally conducted over a 12-week storage period, but the preservatives stored in polypropylene were left for a total period of 90 weeks, and these latter findings are included.
Storage Studies of Preservative Solutions in Commonly Used Plastic Containers
July 13, 2010
Fill out my online form.
Innovative prebiotic fiber with cross action activities - download studies data [sample request] — Jojoba Desert
Introducing SantEnergy™ – a sustainable extract energizing and protecting hair follicles for denser hair — Mibelle AG Biochemistry
Most Popular in Methods & Processes
- 1[updated] Cosmetic Victories 2021 Finalist Profile: 'Touchy Finger'
- 2Roundtable Underlines Diversity Gap in Dermatology, Medical Research
- 3CBD in Cosmetics: A Practical Primer
- 4Inclusive Beauty: Making Cosmetics More Accessible for the Blind and for Visually Impaired Consumers
- 5Comparatively Speaking: Epilation vs. Depilation
- 6Comparatively Speaking: Lowering Surface Tension in Water vs. Oil
- 7Back to Basics: Fragrance in Cosmetics—'Simple' and Psychological
- 8Comparatively Speaking: Density vs. Specific Gravity
- 9Formulating Scrubs
- 10Attacking Acne: OTC Topical Treatments
- Ames Laboratory Designs Nano-catalysts to Upcycle Polyolefin Plastics
12/15/2020, Michele Behrens
- [updated] Cosmetic Victories 2021 Finalist Profile: 'Touchy Finger'
3/25/2021, Roberto Vargiolu, Ph.D., and Hassan Zahouani, Tribology and System Dynamics Laboratory (LTDS)
- Safely Transferring Flammable and Combustible Cosmetic Liquids During Production
12/21/2020, Nancy Westcott, GoatThroat Pumps, Milford, CT
- [video] Cosmetic Victories 2021 Winner Profile: Sustainable Smart Delivery Capsules
4/13/2021, Marcin Łukaszewicz and Agnieszka Lewińska, InventionBio
- CBD in Cosmetics: A Practical Primer
9/2/2020, Paul C. Lessard, Ph.D.; Varin Science, LLC, Aptos, CA USA