Today's cosmetic emulsions are not simply mixtures of oil, water and emulsifier; they also contain a number of active ingredients functioning to ameliorate the condition of the skin, such as skin hydration or the barrier properties of the stractum corneum (SC). Most of these ingredients will work only if they penetrate the SC or the deeper layers of the epidermis. The extent and rate of penetration depend not only on the diffusion and solubility properties of the ingredietn molecule itself, but also on the effect of the cosmetic vehicle of the diffusion process.
Properties of Emulsions: Structure and Skin Penetration
July 19, 2011
Fill out my online form.
Most Popular in Methods & Processes
- 1CBD in Cosmetics: A Practical Primer
- 2[video] Shiseido on AI to Predict Skin Needs
- 3Comparatively Speaking: Lowering Surface Tension in Water vs. Oil
- 4Study Finds Evaporation Time is Key to Emulsion Rheology, Stability
- 5Comparatively Speaking: Epilation vs. Depilation
- 6State of the Art: Hand Hygiene and Disease Prevention, Part I
- 7Formulating Water-in-Oil Emulsions: A Scary Endeavor
- 8Embracing Sustainability: Important Practices and Impact in Cosmetics
- 9Cosmetic Victories Finalist Profile: Formulation Under Quasi 'Microgravity'
- 10Formulating for Efficacy
- Embracing Sustainability: Important Practices and Impact in Cosmetics
2/28/2020, S. Bom, H.M. Ribeiro and J. Marto, Research Institute for Medicine, Lisbon
- Cosmetic Victories Finalist Profile: Biodiversified Phyto-fermentation
6/1/2020, Rachel Grabenhofer
- CBD in Cosmetics: A Practical Primer
9/2/2020, Paul C. Lessard, Ph.D.; Varin Science, LLC, Aptos, CA USA
- Indena Genetically Validates Bilberry Extract
12/3/2019, Rachel Grabenhofer
- [video] Shiseido on AI to Predict Skin Needs
8/18/2020, Kanako Kaneko, Ph.D.