Today's cosmetic emulsions are not simply mixtures of oil, water and emulsifier; they also contain a number of active ingredients functioning to ameliorate the condition of the skin, such as skin hydration or the barrier properties of the stractum corneum (SC). Most of these ingredients will work only if they penetrate the SC or the deeper layers of the epidermis. The extent and rate of penetration depend not only on the diffusion and solubility properties of the ingredietn molecule itself, but also on the effect of the cosmetic vehicle of the diffusion process.
Properties of Emulsions: Structure and Skin Penetration
July 19, 2011
Fill out my online form.
EquiScalp®, award-winner microbiota-friendly active ingredient for scalp soothing — Clariant International Ltd.
Consumer Preferences for At Home US Hair Colorants, a Sensient/Mintel Survey — Sensient Cosmetic Technologies
Most Popular in Methods & Processes
- 1Quality Culture Part III: Bulk Production
- 2Back to Basics: Fragrance in Cosmetics—'Simple' and Psychological
- 3CBD in Cosmetics: A Practical Primer
- 4Comparatively Speaking: Epilation vs. Depilation
- 5Comparatively Speaking: Lowering Surface Tension in Water vs. Oil
- 6Formulating Water-in-Oil Emulsions: A Scary Endeavor
- 7Inclusive Beauty: Making Cosmetics More Accessible for the Blind and for Visually Impaired Consumers
- 8Attacking Acne: OTC Topical Treatments
- 9Cold Processing of Emulsions
- 10[video] Cosmetic Victories 2021 Winner Profile: Sustainable Smart Delivery Capsules
- CBD in Cosmetics: A Practical Primer
9/2/2020, Paul C. Lessard, Ph.D.; Varin Science, LLC, Aptos, CA USA
- [video] Shiseido on AI to Predict Skin Needs
8/18/2020, Kanako Kaneko, Ph.D.
- Could Circadian Time Stamping Ultra-Personalize Care?
7/21/2020, Rachel Grabenhofer
- Synthetic Microbe Cocultures Could Uncover Quorum Sensing
7/16/2020, Rachel Grabenhofer
- Study Finds Evaporation Time is Key to Emulsion Rheology, Stability
9/10/2020, Rachel Grabenhofer