Today's cosmetic emulsions are not simply mixtures of oil, water and emulsifier; they also contain a number of active ingredients functioning to ameliorate the condition of the skin, such as skin hydration or the barrier properties of the stractum corneum (SC). Most of these ingredients will work only if they penetrate the SC or the deeper layers of the epidermis. The extent and rate of penetration depend not only on the diffusion and solubility properties of the ingredietn molecule itself, but also on the effect of the cosmetic vehicle of the diffusion process.
Properties of Emulsions: Structure and Skin Penetration
July 19, 2011
Fill out my online form.
Givaudan unveils Sensityl™, a sustainable concentrate of marine biotechnology for cosmetics that also influences consumers’ mood
Most Popular in Methods & Processes
- 1[video] Probiotics to Cosmetics: A 'Natural' Progression
- 2Comparatively Speaking: Epilation vs. Depilation
- 3Comparatively Speaking: Natural Oil Grades
- 4AI—Not a Goal, a Tool in Product Development
- 5The Camera Never Lies: Visualizing Sun Protection Loss and Ways to Fortify Films
- 6Formulating Water-in-Oil Emulsions: A Scary Endeavor
- 7Cold Processing of Emulsions
- 8Fluid Beauty: Biometric Measures to Innovate 'Genderless' Cosmetics
- 9Multiple Emulsions: Applications in Cosmetics
- 10Free vs. Controlled Radical Polymerization
- Comparatively Speaking: HLB vs PIT
1/28/2019, Anthony J. O'Lenick, Jr., Siltech LLC, et al.
- Comparatively Speaking: Natural Oil Grades
5/16/2019, Anthony J. O'Lenick, Jr., IFSCC education chair and Siltech, LLC
- Defensin Peptides Tested for Anti-aging Benefits
7/17/2018, Maggie Connelly
- [video] Probiotics to Cosmetics: A 'Natural' Progression
3/26/2019, Rachel Grabenhofer with Shaheen Majeed and Arumugam Sivakumar, Ph.D., Sabinsa/Sami Labs Ltd.
- Clean Beauty Decoded
5/20/2019, Jeb Gleason-Allured, Global Cosmetic Industry and Rachel Grabenhofer, Cosmetics & Toiletries