Avya Skincare is giving some much-needed love to melanated skin with its line of products.
The melanin-meets-skin care company explained that it utilizes botanical ingredients, including turmeric, neem and peony, to penetrate the melanin pathway. As a result, the skin's melanin is stabilized and can reverse skin concerns like hyper-pigmentation, texture and tone.
Avya Skincare products include:
- Day Moisturizer SPF 20;
- Night Moisturizer with vitamin A;
- Eye Bright Cream with caffeine;
- Anti-aging Power Serum with vitamin C; and
- Gentle Cleanser (non-foaming).
Global Cosmetic Industry spoke with Tanuj Nakra, M.D., FACS, head of product, Global Beauty Science, about the key ingredients enabling melanin support, product efficacy on various skin tones and common misconceptions surrounding melanin-centered skin care.
Global Cosmetic Industry: What are the key ingredients that enable this melanin support?
Tanuj Nakra (TN): The entire Avya Skincare line was carefully formulated to target the melanin pathway. Our unique formula focus brings together ancient botanicals as well as modern active ingredients to achieve unprecedented synergy and efficacy for complexion and skin tone by targeting the melanin pathway. Selected ingredients that offer melanin support include:
- Turmeric—Known for its legendary anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric reduces reactive melanin hyperactivity.
- Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)—A potent antioxidant that also reduces melanin overproduction.
- Retinoids (vitamin A)—Retinol is one of the most powerful agents for skin turnover that reduces melanin clumping and irregularity in the skin’s outer layers.
- Niacinamide—A powerful anti-aging molecule that also brightens by regulating melanin transfer to the outer skin layers.
- Glutathione—A naturally appearing antioxidant that also inhibits melanin overproduction.
- N-Acetyl Glucosamine—An anti-aging molecule that also reduces reactive melanin hyperactivity via anti-inflammatory properties.
- Yeast extract—A pigment control molecule that brightens via regulation of the melanin pathway.
Global Cosmetic Industry: Do these products have higher efficacy on certain skin tones?
TN: Historically, most skin care lines have not focused on melanin, effectively ignoring one of the central concerns of people with darker skin: even skin pigmentation. Even skin tone is a goal for all skin types, and so Avya Skincare is effective for all skin tones. However, darker skin tones typically have more obvious melanin issues, and therefore Avya will be particularly helpful for these people.
Global Cosmetic Industry: What are some common misconceptions surrounding melanin-centered skin care?
TN: Some concerns about a melanin-focused skin care line are that it would not have the same efficacy as legacy luxury skincare lines and that the products are effective only for dark-skinned people. However, both of these are misconceptions. While Avya Skincare is deeply focused on melanin pathway regulation, it also has carefully formulated anti-aging efficacy as least on par with other high-end medical spa grade lines. Also, since even skin tone is a goal for all skin types, Avya Skincare is truly for everyone.