Build a solid foundation in science, formulation and product development—find out more!
Most Popular in:
Water-soluble UV Filters and Other Topics
By: Charles Fox, Independent Consultant
Posted: January 30, 2009, from the February 2009 issue of Cosmetics & Toiletries.
page 6 of 6
Water resistance: Coty B.V. discloses water-resistant and abrasion-resistant eye and lip cosmetics containing film-forming acrylate copolymers.15 These decorative lipsticks and cosmetics for eyebrows and eyelashes have a gel structure comprised of water, a nonionic emulsifier, 1–30% by weight of a film-forming agent, and 0.01–35% by weight of an aliphatic hydrocarbon solvent or a volatile silicone derivative that cannot be mixed with water, but can be emulsified with water-based ingredients and solvents in the presence of an emulsifier. The water-emulsifiable, film-forming agent is based on an ethylacrylate-methylmethacrylate copolymer or acrylic acid or methacrylic acid or an ester thereof. One to 45% by weight of the cosmetic composition is a solid phase. An example is shown in Formula 6.
Powders: Shiseido Co., Ltd., discloses cosmetic compositions containing powders treated with perfluorooctyltriethoxysilane (POS) and powders containing hydroxyapatite (HA).16 The compositions contain 5–50% by weight of POS-treated powders or powders treated with POS and acrylic silicone copolymer. The compositions also contain 1–30% by weight of HA powder or HA-containing composite powder. The compositions may also contain zinc oxide, synthetic mica and/or spherical powders.
A solid powder cosmetic foundation containing 5% POS-treated powders (sericite, talc, mica) and 10% HA-coated mica also contained synthetic fluorophlogopite, zinc oxide and silicone-treated powders. This foundation showed a smooth feel, uniform finish and long-lasting makeup effect.
Vinylpyrrolidone/acrylic acid copolymer: Beiersdorf AG discloses a cosmetic preparation with vinylpyrrolidone/acrylic acid copolymer.17 In addition to the copolymer, the cosmetic preparations of this invention contain one or more water-soluble UV photoprotective filters selected from the following group: 2-phenylbenzimidazole-5-sulfonic acid; phenylene-1,4-bis-(2-benzimidazyl)-3,3’,5,5’-tetrasulfonic acid; and the sodium, potassium and triethanolammonium salts of those two compounds. An example is shown in Formula 7.
Fragrance retention: Kao Corp. discloses isotropic one-phase liquid cosmetic compositions with excellent transparency, detergency, processability, and fragrance retention.18 The compositions contain nonionic surfactants with HLB > 9, nonionic surfactants with HLB 3–9, liquid oils, polyhydric alcohols, water and compositions of one or more perfumes selected from limonene, α-pinene, β-pinene, linalyl acetate, etc. Thus, a cleansing emulsion containing 11% polyoxyethylene octyl dodecyl ether (PODE, HLB = 13), 0.9% diglyceryl stearate, 1% PODE (HLB = 7), 2% ethoxylated hydrogenated castor oil (EHCO, 10 EO), 2% polyoxyethylene glyceryl ether triisostearate, 3% EHCO (20 EO), 20% 2-ethylhexanoic acid triglyceride, 10% sorbitol, 10% glycerin, 10% 1,3-butylene glycol, 30% water and 0.1% perfume showed good spreadability on the skin and fragrance retention until washed out.
Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. WO 2008 98,648, Method for reducing the signs of skin aging by using a rotating or oscillating brush for the application of skin-smoothing active ingredients, Beiersdorf AG, Germany (Aug 21, 2008)
2. KR 804,096, Skin-cleansing composition containing microcapsules including stabilized enzymes, Amorepacific Corp., South Korea (Aug 31, 2008)
3. JP 2008 184,431, Skin preparations containing phospholipids and 4-alkylresorcinols with good transdermal absorption and storage stability, Kuraray Co., Ltd.; Pola Chemical Industries Inc., Japan (Aug 14, 2008)
4. CN 101,229,114, A free radical scavenger used in cosmetics for resisting aging, preventing sunburn and repairing skin after sunburn, Faming Zhuanli Shenqing Gongkai Shuomingshu, China (Jul 30, 2008)
5. CN 101,229,104, Application of n-acetyl-d-glucosamine in brightening cosmetics, Faming Zhuanli Shenqing Gongkai Shuomingshu, China (Jul 30, 2008)
6. EP 1,955,690, New shower oil containing turbidity preventing agents, Beiersdorf AG, Germany (Aug 13, 2008)
7. EP 1,955,692, Use of active agents for increasing the ceramide content of the lips, as a protection agent for fragile lips, L’Oréal, France (Aug 13, 2008)
8. SL Hwang et al, In vivo hair growth promotion effects of cosmetic preparations containing hinokitiol-loaded poly(epsilon-caprolactone) nanocapsules, J Microencap 25(5) 351–356 (2008) (in English)
9. KR 806,078, Method for manufacturing hair dye capable of forming permanent wave, Ceres Cosmetic Co., Ltd., South Korea (Feb 21, 2008)
10. KR 805,692, Shampoo composition containing medicinal herb extract for preventing alopecia, Uniherb Skincare Co., Ltd., South Korea (Feb 21, 2008)
11. CN 101,229,110, Nonoxidative permanent black hair dye composition comprising Chinese medicinal materials as coloring agent and Eugenia caryophyllata as penetrant, and its preparation method, Faming Zhuanli Shenqing Gongkai Shuomingshu (Jul 30, 2008)
12. WO 2008 96,497, Emulsion composition for preparation for application to hair, Arimino Co., Ltd., Japan (Aug 14, 2008)
13. FR 2,912,309, Method for permanent waving of keratinous fibers including a step of application of an oxidizing composition containing cationic polymer thickener, L’Oréal, France (Aug 15, 2008)
14. GB 2,446,576, Epilatory compositions comprising a rosin- or sugar-based material, silica and polymer, Reckitt Benckiser (UK) Limited, UK (Aug 20, 2008)
15. DE 10,136,883, Water-resistant and abrasion-resistant eye and lip cosmetics containing film-forming acrylate copolymers, Coty BV, Netherlands (Aug 21, 2008) 16. JP 2008 184,399, Cosmetic powders containing perfluorooctyltriethoxysilane-treated powders and hydroxyapatite-containing powders, Shiseido Co., Ltd., Japan (Aug 14, 2008)
17. US 2008 193,395, Cosmetic preparation with vinylpyrrolidone/acrylic acid copolymer, Beiersdorf AG, Germany (Aug 14, 2008)
18. JP 2008 184,437, Isotropic one-phase liquid cosmetic compositions with excellent transparency, detergency, processability, and fragrance retention, Kao Corp., Japan (Aug 14, 2008)