Build a solid foundation in science, formulation and product development—find out more!
Most Popular in:
The Impact of Junk Science on R&D: A Review of the 'Dirty Dozen'
By: David C. Steinberg, Steinberg & Associates
Posted: September 29, 2010, from the October 2010 issue of Cosmetics & Toiletries.
page 9 of 9
This author believes that chief executives of major cosmetic companies should step forward to publicly comment on the safety of their products, to report how few if any minor injuries were ever attributed to the proper use of their products, and to describe the extensive testing performed on their products to ensure consumer safety. This would denounce to the public the unnecessary alarm being caused by activist groups that publish information based on fraudulent science, and educate the representatives introducing bills to the US Congress based on bad information. R&D professionals in the personal care industry are urged to send letters to their representative(s) in Congress to make the truth known.
As a final comment, this author’s greatest disappointment is with the David Suzuki Foundation in that it has bought into such junk science after 20 years of being a reputable NGO. Perhaps the group simply does not grasp the fact that cosmetics are among the safest consumer products, that they are tested for safety, and that if all the ingredients the group recommends prohibiting were removed from products, consumers’ lives would look less attractive, smell worse and be less comfortable—and yet be no safer—than they are currently.
Reproduction of the article without expressed consent is strictly prohibited.
Send e-mail to email@example.com.
1. ‘Dirty Dozen’ Cosmetic Chemicals to Avoid, David Suzuki Foundation, www.davidsuzuki.org/issues/health/science/toxics/dirty-dozen-cosmetic-chemicals/index.php
2. 182.3169 BHA, FDA Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Title 21: Food and Drugs, www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm
3. 172.115 BHT, FDA Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Title 21: Food and Drugs, www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm
4. CIR Report 21/11/2007, www.cir-safety.org/staff_files/PublicationsListDec2009.pdf
5. CIR Report 1/28/2009, www.cir-safety.org/staff_files/PublicationsListDec2009.pdf
6. JACT 2(7) 183-235 (1983), www.cir-safety.org/staff_files/PublicationsListDec2009.pdf
7. JACT 4(3) 267-303 (1985), available at www.cir-safety.org/staff_files/PublicationsListDec2009.pdf
8. EM Jackson, Subungual penetration of dibutyl phthalate in human finger nails, Skin Pharmacol Physiol 21 10–14 (2008)
9. JGM Winkelman et al, Kinetics and chemical equilibrium of the hydration of formaldehyde, Chemical Engineering Science 57 4067–4076 (2002)
10. CIR website, www.cir-safety.org/staff_files/PublicationsListDec2009.pdf
11. Ingredients, International Fragrance Association website, www.ifraorg.org/public/index_ps/parentid/1/childid/15/leafid/111
12. JACT 4(3) 267–303 (1985), CIR website, www.cir-safety.org/staff_files/PublicationsListDec2009.pdf
13. Scientific Committee on Consumer Products (SCCP) Opinion on Phthalates in Cosmetic Products, http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/committees/04_sccp/docs/sccp_o_106.pdf
14. RIFM news release, RIFM human health scientist publishes article on vehicle effects on allyl ester irritation in the international journal of toxicology, www.rifm.org/press/press_detail.asp?id=16
15. IJT 27 suppl. 4, 1–82 (2008), CIR website, available at www.cir-safety.org/staff_files/PublicationsListDec2009.pdf
16. Parabens, FDA website, www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ProductandIngredientSafety/ SelectedCosmeticIngredients/ucm128042.htm
17. 1,4-Dioxane, FDA website, www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ProductandIngredientSafety/ PotentialContaminants/ucm101566.htm
18. Annex II number 904, p 46, EU website, http://eurlex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.douri=CONSLEG:1976L0768:20080424:en:PDF
20. Color Additives Permitted for Use in Cosmetics, FDA website, www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/VoluntaryCosmeticsRegistrationProgramVCRP/OnlineRegistration/ucm109084.htm (All websites accessed on Aug 24, 2010)