Build a solid foundation in science, formulation and product development—find out more!
Most Popular in:
REACH Update: ECHA Urges Companies to Organize SIEFs
By: Annelie Struessman, PhD, CONUSBAT
Posted: May 5, 2009
page 2 of 2
This author wishes to reiterate the importance for potential registrants to get started immediately since the already immense workload will certainly be intensified by these ECHA suggestions. The total workload needed is unforeseeable, as is the time that will be needed for fulfilling all requirements. ECHA recognizes that this is a new process, that other issues are likely to arise, and that further discussion may be needed.
• ECHA appeals preregistrants to get started in SIEFs immediately, since registration deadlines are narrow.
• Additionally, the SIEF process length is unforeseeable due to the inexperience with REACH provisions.
• Registration deadlines will not be extended for any reason because they are laid down by law.
• The ECHA describes existing challenges in getting some SIEFs started.
• ECHA suggestions have been developed to assist registrants in overcoming SIEF formation difficulties, which are adding to existing workloads for potential registrants.
*The text of the REACH Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 is the only authentic legal reference. The information in this column does not constitute legal advice.
Do you have additional questions? Visit C&T magazine online's REACH Round Table for expert advice.
Readers are reminded that this free service provides basic answers to the questions you have about REACH, but that in-depth, consultative services are provided by CONUSBAT for a fee. CONUSBAT reserves the right to determine what information can be provided at no cost, and to refer readers to its services when detailed information is requested.