Product innovation in the US personal care market and additional markets was recognized on Feb. 8, 2011, at the 2011 Product of the Year USA Awards Ceremony in New York City.
Product of the Year is a consumer product award that rewards innovation, as voted by 60,000 consumers. Established 25 years ago in France, the award operates in 28 countries with the purpose of guiding consumers to the best products in their markets and rewarding manufacturers for quality and innovation.
Phil Lempert, of the Supermarket Guru, and Herb Sorensen, a scientific advisor for TNS, served as guest speakers for the event, at which they spoke about market trends. For more information on personal care market trends, visit C&T magazine's sister publication GCI magazine. This year's winners for the award in the United States included such personal care manufacturers as Colgate-Palmolive, Johnson & Johnson, Kimberly-Clark Corp., Procter & Gamble, Reckitt Benckiser and more. The winners in personal care and related fields are listed below.
As part of the nationwide survey with 60,000 shoppers conducted by TNS, Product of the Year winners receive a robust research study providing the latest insights into the mind of today's consumer. According to this survey, 80% of consumers are willing to try new products while 68% of shoppers say a consumer-voted award means more for a new product than an expert's opinion. Recommendations from friends or family positively impacts purchase interest amongst close to half the population.
Formulators can use this consumer information to guide their future product innovation strategies. With better knowledge of what consumers find innovative, the formulator can better fulfill their needs.
• Speed Stick and Lady Speed Stick Stainguard Antiperspirant Deodorant, Colgate-Palmolive Company
• Aquafresh iso-active Whitening, GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare
• Listerine Zero, Johnson & Johnson Healthcare Products Division of McNEIL-PPC Inc.
• U by Kotex, Kimberly-Clark Corp.
• Pantene Pro-V Customized Solutions, Procter & Gamble
• Pantene Pro-V Customized Solutions Stylers & Treatments, Procter & Gamble
Pampers Cruisers & Swaddlers, Procter & Gamble
• Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor, Procter & Gamble
• Lysol Healthy Touch No-Touch Hand Soap System, Reckitt Benckiser
• Raid Max Bug Barrier, S.C. Johnson & Son Inc.
At Home Beauty Treatment
• no!no! Hair 8800, Radiancy Inc.