- Active (500)
- Anti-irritant (119)
- Antimicrobial (97)
- Antioxidant (22)
- Colorant/Pigment/Hair Dye (102)
- Conditioner/Moisturizer (261)
- Delivery (161)
- Exfoliant (13)
- Feel Enhancer (187)
- Film-former (15)
- Formulating Aids (137)
- Fragrance (75)
- Preservatives (81)
- Repair (101)
- Rheology/Viscosity Modifier (93)
- Surfactant/Emulsifier (141)
- UV Filter (118)
Build a solid foundation in science, formulation and product development—find out more!
Most Popular in:
Ingredient Profile: Polyquaternium-6
By: Michael J. Fevola, PhD, Johnson & Johnson Consumer and Personal Products Worldwide
Posted: March 2, 2011, from the March 2011 issue of Cosmetics & Toiletries.
page 3 of 3Next month’s “Ingredient Profile” column will review PQ-6’s conditioning cousin copolymer, polyquaternium-7. Be sure to check it out. Reproduction of the article without expressed consent is strictly prohibited.
Send e-mail to CT_author@allured.com.
1. Polyquaternium-6, Monograph ID 2442, International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook, 13th ed, Personal Care Products Council: Washington DC (2010)
2. C Wandrey, J Hermindez-Barajas and D Hunkeler, Diallyldimethylammonium chloride and its polymers, Adv Polym Sci 145, 123–182 (1999)
3. Merquat Polyquaternium-6 Series, Nalco product bulletin PC-PolyQ-6, Nalco Company, Naperville, IL (2007)
4. US 3461163, Synthesis of dimethyl diallyl ammonium chloride, JE Boothe, assigned to Calgon Corp. (Aug 12, 1969)
5. US 4151202, Preparation of dimethyl diallyl ammonium chloride and polydiallyl dimethyl ammonium chloride, WE Hunter and TP Sieder, assigned to Nalco Chemical Co. (Apr 24, 1979)
6. JE Boothe, HG Flock, MF Hoover, Some homo- and copolymerization studies of dimethyldiallylammonium chloride, J Macromol Sci, Part A, Pure Appl Chem 4 6 1419–1430 (1970) 7. GB Butler, Cyclopolymerization and cyclocopolymerization, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York (1992) 8. Genamin PDAC, Clariant Industrial & Consumer Specialties Product Bulletin, Clariant International Ltd., Muttenz, Switzerland (Jan 2010)
9. Mirapol 100, Rhodia Product Data Sheet N000169, Rhodia Novecare, Cranbury, NJ (Jul 2009)
10. Optasense CP6 Conditioning Agent, Croda product bulletin DS-205R-2, Croda Inc., Edison, NJ (Jan 2008)